Thursday, September 9, 2010

Snap, and it's gone

In a casual conversation the other day I assured one of my sons that I would be around for another 30 or 35 years, and he laughed and said that wasn't very long. I agreed, but in 35 years I will be 96. That's kind of shocking and it isn't very far away.

Thiry five years ago I was about to give birth to our first daughter. Just yesterday.
Thirty years ago I had four kids and a fifth would be born within the year.
It doesn't seem very long ago. I feel about the same as I did then.

But this is life. It is happening right now, and it only goes one way. So start living it. Choose to be happy. Take risks, enjoy everyday. Be nice to the people who love you. Stop looking for perfection. Get married. Have kids. Now is the only time you can do it. Love your kids. love your spouse. Don't expect perfection!

Find a job you enjoy, or a job that will pay the bills and enjoy life. Make friends, keep friends. Say your prayers. Trust God. Put your life in order. You will be happier than you imagine.

But most important of all, call your mom regularly. She loves you, and she won't be here forever!

(And don't forget to call your Dad! He loves you too and he's already older than I am.)

No comments: