Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Diet, no exercise

I went to the doctor awhile back with severe stomach pain. She told me I had damaged the vagus nerve, and my stomach could not contract. So she put me on a special diet. I followed the diet and lost 25 pounds, and then when I returned to the doctor she told me I had been misdiagnosed. So, here is the diet which did work in terms of losing weight and not feeling hungry.
First: Eat six times a day. No high fructose corn syrup, no soy.
Second: Eat liquids, soft, low-fat, and low-fiber foods. Include protein in every meal. This is your most important guideline.

So, here is what I ate generally--

Breakfast: poached or scrambled egg, small glass of 2% milk. small glass of juice. Cut fruit juices with water.
or small bowl of shredded wheat or oatmeal with 2% milk (oatmeal and shredded wheat bypass the fiber/protein rule)

Mid morning: fruit, fresh, canned or frozen w/out peel. Plain yogurt. I made fruit smoothies with fruit, 1/2 c yogurt and ice in blender. Nice.

Lunch: Cheese stick, 1/2 can chicken noodle soup or other thin soup.

Midafternoon: Small salad, with tuna or sardines or canned or grilled chicken;
or cottage cheese w pineapple or tomatoes or tuna etc. McDonalds grilled chicken salad is great, but on this diet I could only eat about 1/2 of it.

Dinner: 1/2 chicken breast or other meat (small 1/2!) green beans or other veggies, drink water.

Night time I started having 12 cup of plain yogurt w/bottled grapefruit slices and juice. It started to seem like a really delicious bedtime snack and is really low cal.

You could have white bread with your eggs, salad, etc. But I don't like white bread. I had saltines w/ the soup. You could have gatorade or other low cal drinks, but I preferred water. Drink something with all six meals.

I rearranged the meals for what I was hungry for at any given time. You have to eat something every 2 1/2 or 3 hours. I really cut my portion sizes. I adapted it as I went along, adding more fiber like carrot sticks, broccli, cauliflower, etc.

It was easy and I still eat less than I did before, but it is hard to eat 6 times a day now that I am not following the regimen.

Two of your meals can be liquid--smoothies, fruit or veggie. But remember to add protein everytime. Plain yogurt or cottage cheese, low fat make good base.

The doc said that 2% milk is a nearly perfect combination of protein, fat and carbohydrates. So I use 2%.

Also, don't try to go on a no-fat diet. The no-fat diet stops weight loss--your brain functions off of fat. You have to have a little fat. I only use olive oil in cooking--even in bread and cookies. (Healthy fat.)

So there it is. Simple. Use the foods you like that fit the guidelines.

Worked for me!!

No comments: