Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Finally! Here we are at Donner Lake. After a race car ride from Las Vegas to Carson City, a scenic drive over Rose Mountain and along the north shore of Lake Tahoe, we found our way to the little lake, pulled into the Westend Beach, and immediately encountered my sister, her seven kids, six spouses (one was at the airport) and myriad grandchildren. We pulled in just in time for dinner; so we served ourselves plates of chili, pulled up a spot by the water, and sat down to eat and gab.

Brrr. I had forgotten how cool it gets in the evenings in the sierra. Heck, Coming from Arizona via Vegas I had forgotten that it cools down at night anywhere!! Well not really, but I will definitely have to find a hoody on sale that says Lake Tahoe, or Donner Lake or even Truckee.

We check into our cabin today! I am already wondering how we can get all the brothers and sisters here next summer for a reunion. I'm giving myself 2 years to figure out how to get all our own kids and grandkids together for a reunion.
Merrilyn and her family have come every summer now for the past 9 years. She drove around with us last night pointing out cabins where they have stayed, sites that we remembered from when we were young, grandad's cabin where I spent so many summers. Then we met back at Aly's cabin with a good number of the grown-ups. The grandkids were, I imagine, either asleep or entertaining each other.

We will be here until Saturday. Then the trick will be to figure out how to get home. I don't think I can face I-95 again! Mike really shouldn't do another 10 hour car ride in a mini cooper and. . . . Why am I planning the drive home already?

It's time for relaxation. Chao for now. K

1 comment:

plain jane said...

Sounds like fun! I hope Becky can make it out for at least a day.