Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Shhhh. . . .

I went out into the yard this morning early to feed Fred. I stood in the early morning light, enjoying the green that is returning to our hills, the quiet, the. . . quiet? I heard a low drone coming from the pepper tree. I walked under the tree and looked up. It was so loud under the tree that I expected to see a swarm of bees.
The tree was full of bees, no swarm luckily, but full of pollinating bees, covered with yellow pollen. We had to go to Tucson, but I thought about the tree all day--I want to enter a photo in a contest called Pollinators of Southern Arizona--yes, a small niche contest!
When we got home about 4:30 I put the longest lens on the camera and went back out. There were still bees, but the sound was subdued. I stood outside for a long time, taking bee pictures. Then I heard a helicopter kind of sound coming in for a landing. I looked for the sound and found this tarantula wasp. As soon as he landed I was back to a low drone. A few minutes later a loud whistle streaked past and I watched a huge bumble bee fly from the north end to the south end of our yard and over the wall.

I usually don't hear the bugs. I certainly don't listen to distinguish the sounds of one from another. But, this afternoon I could hear, it must have been magic.

1 comment:

plain jane said...

Very magical indeed!