Thursday, September 18, 2008

Names, Names, Names

The top picture is the young Berta Woolley. Isn't my mom cute? Right below her is Mette Marie Eliasen, Mike's grandmother as a young woman. I think he looks like his Danish relatives!



This stern faced woman is Esther Blackmoore, Ruth May's mother. How long ago was this? They must have used the first camera ever made. I think she must have been afraid to get her picture taken. (maybe the photographer was afraid when he looked through the lens!)



Above is Calvin Hopkins, Mike's dad at the start of WWII! Hopkins are Scotch Irish, which gives new meaning to the expression, "To really be Irish you have to have a fifth of scotch in you!"
And below is the young Edwin Evenson. My grandpa. These are all different lines and this isn't even the tip of the iceburg. Oh, brother!




Well, I have been doing family history for awhile. I have been going along and finding names and building a pedigree file and family groups in a Personal Ancestor File (PAF). I have been finding and submitting names on line. So, when I passed 2100 names in our file I was pretty pleased.
Now though there is a new program called Get Your Ancestors. It will automatically search, find and download names into a PAF file from new familysearch that are linked directly to me, or to whoever you put in as the starting name. I decided to use this program and then compare the on line information with what I have already found with my diligent searching.
I put in 20 generations in the search list. I figured there wouldn't be any names past there. The program started up. It ran all morning. It ran all afternoon. It ran all day. When it stopped there were more than 22,000 names! I was shocked. I saved it onto the computer and opened the program. There were all these ancestors--on pedigree charts, in family group sheets, in alphabetical lists. I have to tell you. I was boggled.

But that wasn't all. The names only followed my parents, grandparents, etc. Just Evenson/Woolley and ancestors--NO Hopkins.

So I started over again yesterday with Martin's name. The program found us another 11,000 names. Oh my goodness. I think I will be busy all winter. And I love it!

1 comment:

Steph said...

Wow. That's great. I love the picture of Grandpa Evenson. I definitely don't look a thing like him - and from what I hear, Blanche got her personality from her mother more than her father. ;)

Keep up the good work with the family history! xoxo sz