Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Today's the day

The removal of the Jesuists from Mexico, late 1700's: Politics of course, both the Pope and the King agreed that the Jesuits had too much power. The Jesuits had done a great work in the Pimeria--Northern Mexico and Southern Arizona. But, their missions were abandoned, their converts left to their own resources until the Franciscans (with a completely different attitude toward the Indians) came in 40 years later. In the background is the church at Matape, gathering place for the Jesuits who were sent on to Guaymas, then to San Blas and across Mexico to Veracruz. I think about half survived.
Do you think the Democrats and Republicans will be any kinder toward one another??
Today's the day; today is the election. Finally. We voted a couple of weeks ago. So I have tried not to spend 24 hours a day watching pre-election coverage. Which means that there is almost nothing to watch on TV. Not a bad thing. Last night a friend called me to tell her how to fill out her ballot. So much for the secret ballot. All I can give are my opinions. Which are dead on of course.
Meanwhile, I keep watering the garden. I have to plant my apricot tree in the ground today. I am moving my pepper plant inside. I think it will give us bell peppers all winter--too late for the tomatoes. We had a cold windy spell about a month ago and the wild mesquite lost all their leaves. Since then it has been so unseasonably nice and warm that everything is putting out new shoots.
So, what do you think? Do you have a favorite candidate!!!??
Wish us luck here in Amereeka.
The border was closed on Sunday. Apparently the cartel retaliated for the deaths of 10 of its members by killing a number of police officers. There is no end.

On that cheery note, Have a good day!!

No comments: