Saturday, July 11, 2009

Fond memories. . .

I got a fun surprise today--a ballpoint pen drawing of your great Granma Mae's house in Mt Vernon from Dad's cousin. Dad remembers this house well. He said he wished he could see the doorbell in the picture and was assured that the doorbell had been removed and saved before the house was sold. Funny the things that make memories, that people notice and remember. Maybe some of the older kids will remember this house from the picture. Mae lived there just about forever--I think from the 1930's.

I wish I had a photo of Tui and Bob's house, or the house I grew up in--where I lived for about 10 or 11 years--from 5 years old until I was 16. I might have some pictures somewhere. I will try to find them. I wonder what I would take from those 2 houses if I could . . . . I don't know that there was any little special piece that would have been a perfect recuerdo. I think in both cases it was the entire package--the land, the landscaping, the uniqueness of the houses. But in both cases the houses have been bulldozed and the landscape has been radically altered.

I think Mae's house is still there in it's own spot and you could drive by and take a look. In the meantime, enjoy the drawing. I did.

No comments: