Monday, August 18, 2008

Books and other things


Aly (Smith Lloyd) invited me to join her on-line bookclub. Hmm. So what fun books have I been reading? I just finished reading The Broken Spears, by Leon Portillo. Great book. Excerpts from early post-conquest Nahuatl writing about the conquest of Mexico. And now I have started reading Five Letters of Cortez to the Emperor, by Hernando Cortez. Also fascinating. And completely different perspectives obviously. Some of the Nahuatl writings hadn't been translated into English until the 1960's. And Cortez's first letter was lost until several years ago when fragments of it were discovered, along with the fifth and previously unknown letter.

But at the same time I have been reading Science Fiction short stories just to even things out. That book is The Intergalactic Medicine Show. Great fun. I wish it hadn't ended. I could have kept reading short stories. But none of these are the popular reading club books of the day.

Megan gave me the greatest birthday present ever--Daniel Silva's newest book--Moscow Rules. Have you been following the whole Russia/Georgia thing? Silva makes Russia sound really scary. I'm afraid it is. Our cousin Caroline Bartholomew was in Armenia for three years, and went to a resort on the Black Sea, that she said reminded her of Santa Monica, Ca when she was young. I assume that was in Georgia. What a small world.

Graham caught a gopher snake last week. He put it in the aquarium with his King snake. Guess what happened. . . . The King Snake strangled the gopher snake and swallowed it whole. It was an 8 hour process. Reminds me of politics.

Gross.

No comments: