Thursday, August 7, 2008



This is my grandpa Evenson. I think this is my favorite picture of him, because this is how I remember him. Relaxed, comfortable, always wearing that hat.

My grandpa drank coffee. When I was little I was shocked. I thought drinking coffee was bad--like a sin--and I knew my grandpa was a good man.

He lived in a time before the Word of Wisdom was given the emphasis that it has now. It was like the pirates' rules of parlay--more of a suggestion. But by the time I came along, it was definitely more than a suggestion.

He told me that he had drunk coffee all his life, that his mother had given him coffee in his baby bottle. He just couldn't give it up. And to think, he was still so much more relaxed than my granma.

When he was old--probably in his 70's?? he was called as a temple worker. But to do that he had to stop drinking coffee. And so he did. Just like that. He and my grandmother worked in the temple together for years.

He died sitting in his chair in the living room. It looked like he had fallen asleep watching TV. Relaxed to the end.

2 comments:

plain jane said...

What a cool picture

Steph said...

He is our common blood. Isn't that cool? Thanks for sharing the story about him - it makes me happy to know that I've had at least 3 great grandparents who have died sitting in their easy chair while relaxing. :)