Saturday, August 23, 2008

My how time flies. . . .

Here they are...these are the plants that I bought on my birthday 19 days ago. Luckily I did not take this picture today. I planted all the shrubs two weeks ago. All 12 along the outside of the 84 feet of our front wall. They look great. I was counting on the monsoon rains to keep them watered for me, but today I noticed that the rain isn't quite doing the job. All flash and boom, very little actual water here on the hill.
Meanwhile my palm trees sat in the driveway allll this time. A neighbor came over to help me move them, but we discovered that the tire on the dolly was flat. Steven was going to move them when he was here--I imagine he could have just picked them up and carried them across the yard and dropped them in the hole--but time slipped away. Another neighbor told me he would come by on Thursday and help, but then his father was hospitalized. Who would have imagined the difficulties that could pop up. Today, Thane and his nephew came by at 7:30 in the morning and we actually moved the trees across the yard, out of the boxes and into the ground.
Wow! I'll take a picture so you can see that I am telling the truth!
Then I decided that I really had to water the trees and shrubs. So, I dragged hoses from the back yard and hooked them together to start watering. This was my day: Water one shrub for 20 minutes while reading the Bourne Sanction outloud to Mike. Run outside for ten minutes move the hoses to the next shrub, check the hose on the palm trees, go back and read for 20 minutes. Do you realize that watering 12 shrubs that way takes 6 hours?? Ten til four. Yep, and most of a book.
Yesterday I did family history all day. On the Danish census. Iam starting to learn all those family words like muder and datter. Ugift is single. Gift is married. Nice huh?? Have a great night.
(Happy birthday Janelle and Mark E and Elysse. More people are born in August than any other month. And happy belated birthday Steven and Chase and Tory! and Abbie! That's just in the family. And I am sure I am forgetting some. What in the world was going on 9 months before August??!!)

1 comment:

plain jane said...

Nine months before August? ...Christmas maybe?

Lovely entry! Thanks for writing again. LOVE YOU.