Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Tech support for life


Ever feel like you're banging your head against a brick wall?
For anyone who has ever worked at a call center, and for the rest of us who have ever tried to call with a simple Question, Here is tech support for life:

Support: Hello, this is Kelly. How may I help you?

Caller: I can't open this Smucker's jar. I've tried running it under hot water and it still won't budge.

Support: I understand you're having trouble opening a jar of preserves. Is that correct?

Caller: Yes, I just told you.

Support: Can you tell me the flavor of the preserves as well as its UPC code? YOu can find the UPC code on the label on the back of the jar.

Caller: Strawberry, and leet me see.....435931419865.

Support: Thank you. Do you mind if I take a few minutes to search for that information?

Caller: Fine.

(Five minutes later)

Support: Thank you for waiting. Here are the recommended steps: 1. Turn on the hot water in the kitchen sink. 2. Run the metal lid under the hot water. 3. Turn off the hot water and dry the jar and lid with a dishrag. 4. Using the dishrag, twist the lid counterclockwise to open the jar.

Caller: Have you been listening to anything I've said? I already tried running it under hot water.

Support: It sounds like you have already tried the above steps. Is that correct?

Caller: Yes. Can I talk to your supervisor?

Support: I'm sorry you were displeased with my help. Please hold while I search for someone else to handle your issue.

This goes on quite a bit further, but you get the idea, I know. We've all been there. Now, can you think of other tech support for life issues? I'm sure there is a call center ready and waiting to answer your every question!! Or at least we could make up a really frustrating conversation so that you feel like you have given it your all.

(This came from the July issue of Real Simple, by Teddy Wayne if you want to read the rest of this fine conversation down to the exciting conclusion, or should I say solution???)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would appreciate more visual materials, to make your blog more attractive, but your writing style really compensates it. But there is always place for improvement