Monday, July 28, 2008

Day 4 of the McDonalds challenge.








Well, I bought a Mickey Dee's salad yesterday and ate it in Taco Bell, while everyone but Megan had beans. Megan stayed out in the car and threw up. . . again and again and again. I think she was cheating--being sick wasn't part of the weight loss agreement. But, she did give a very convincing performance.

Megan, Charlie, Leslie and Cierra arrived at 2:00 AM Sunday morning. After church we went out into the fields in search of the mighty amythion--jewel of the dung beetles available in our area. We dug through several hundred fresh plops and found a grand total of one (1) female. The males are much more spectacular than the females. The males have a big curved horn and a sturdier body, but the female is still quite nice.

We found little green dung beetles and black medium sized dungers rolling their sun across the ground only to bury it in the dark earth (thus the sacred scarab of the Egyptians.) But only one amythion. Oh well. Finally, having worked up an appetite, we drove down to Nogales for food.

Except for Megan. She threw up all the way back to Tempe. I am so sorry for her. I told her I think that we could include egg McMuffins for breakfast. They are very healthy sandwiches. She wasn't interested in salads or sandwiches.


Today Megan had a McDonalds salad for lunch. I went up to Tucson to cosign Graham's rental lease for the coming year. We looked at apartment after apartment before we ended up back at the same place he had lived all year.

And we ate at Panda Express. At 4:30. I figure that was lunch and dinner. No use adding a salad on top of that.

Coming home Elephant's Head (an outcropping below Mt. Hopkins) was in just the right light for picture taking. However, driving and snapping with the little Sony did not afford as nice a picture as stopping with the Nikon might have done.
Still, the day was beautiful, Graham has an apartment and a job and the week is young. Who knows what adventures lurk???!!!

1 comment:

plain jane said...

The hand holding the beetle looks like a little kid's hand, but I checked the fingerprints and decided they're mine. I'm not a forensic scientist, but I have the same horizontal lines. I think I get them from typing all the time. Perspective is funny sometimes. It makes my hand look thick and small and I don't remember posing for the picture at all.

I keep re-reading your little poem. It really is nice.