Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Muzzie




First things first, I had an ice cream cone with my McDonald's salad yesterday. And lo and behold, for the first time since starting this salad mania, this morning the scales showed a 2 and1/2 pound drop! What's with that? I think ice cream may very well be a weight loss catalyst. I will have to put this theory to the test. It makes the whole idea of lunch just that much better!

Night before last I could not sleep. I tossed, I turned; I turned, I tossed. I got up and cleaned up the kitchen about 1:00 AM. That is an indication of true sleep desperation. I read; I lay still with my eyes shut breathing slowly. Nothing. At three in the morning I wrote the wild ramblings of my brain. And then I fell asleep.

Today I pulled out a little pile of scrap papers to see what was going on in my head. Not what you might expect:

Muzzize Birda waits,
Holds firmly to her perch.
Head tilts to one side
She hears the sound below.

Muzzie preens,
Each soft feather arranged
just so.
She lifts her wings
Calms her steady heart.

This is the day.
She lifts her head in song--
Simple notes
High and sharp

Now in flies Flika Tui,
Home at last
Ruffles her feathers
Iridescent, bright
Long and filled with color.

Sisters from the same nest
Flika Tui has broken free.

Can't she see that
Muzzie Birda is mine?
And I am all hers?

Forever tied together.

Come in Flika.
Come home at last
to roost.

Muzzie Birda is my softa.
Flika is her sister.

When Muzzie Birda leaves
the perch and flies
into the heavens
Everyone calls and waves:

Goodbye Muzzie
Goodbye Birda
Goodbye Softa
We love you.

Now Flika Tui,
Sometimes we call you
Muzzie.

Tui Bird coos and warbles
When we stop in.
Don't tell me, don't tell me.
Let me guess. . . .

Then one day Tui is gone.
No on sees her go.
No one calls goodbye.
No "We love yous"
Fill the sky.

Did she find Muzzie?

Sometimes
I hear them singing
Together
Far away in my dreams.

1 comment:

plain jane said...

Wow. That is really sweet.

Grandmuzzie and Tui--is that them in the picture? The smaller one looks a little like G-muz.